Meet Our Dolls

Meet Our Dolls
Click image to Meet Our Dolls! Contact us at: thesavagedollblog@gmail.com

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Craft projects

I have been very busy lately building, crafting and sewing for the dolls.  I can't stand it any longer and I must share a little bit of what I have been up to.  A couple of these you have seen already, but not how they came together.
You all saw this fireplace in Kirstens cabin sneak peek.
 I started with a cardboard box. You can see how I cut off part of the flap to affix pebbles to.

I used brown caulk to stick the stones to the cardboard.
 I got a whole bag of pebbles from the craft store, but
if you are patient enough you could use stones from the yard.

Here I have covered 3 flaps of my box to make sides and hearth. The sides of the hearth were too short so I added squares of cardboard before caulking pebbles so the hearth would go out past the sides of the fireplace.


For the inside I printed off images of a stone wall and glued 
it to the cardboard.  I added a small piece of wood for the mantle and done!

Oh, and this is my cast iron pot.
Applesauce cup, wire and black spray paint.

You also saw Kirsten's bed.

 I started with this wood frame from the craft store.
I got this idea from the heart shapes cut in the wood.

 I cut it into 4 pieces, leaving the sides as long as possible.

For head and footboard I glued the end pieces to 1/4" plywood.
I made sure my headboard was taller than the footboard.

All 4 pieces glued and painted.

I added some tole painted designs.
(not too bad for a first try!)

Remember this from my latest thrift finds?
The rusted metal ring handles were what made me pick this up.

Here it is now. I painted it to look like a rustic southwest piece.

I added a shelf and now it is a dish cabinet.

This next project is made from a large lunchmeat container,
two TP rolls and misc. wood shapes from the craft store.
After the glue dried I painted it all over with dark grey metallic paint.

 I added some embossed silver stickers from the scrapbooking aisle,

and voila! a wood burning stove.

 I have also been doing some upcycling.
This skirt and shawl are both thrift store finds.
The skirt was a little girl's skirt I remade.

 This shawl was a halter top!
I trimmed off part of the top and hemmed the edge.

 I also made this skirt and apron.
I liked the pattern of this fabric for a skirt.
The apron is made from a handkerchief.

It's not too easy to see but the handkerchief is
edged with red embroidery which I thought would make a pretty
apron for Josefina.

I also made this wool felt pony and 6" ragdoll.

I think these 2 may show up in a story soon.


8 comments:

Flo said...

You've been busy!!! I love all of it, but I think my favorite is the stove, it is so clever and looks great.

Brenda and Sophie said...

I have been busy! I actually feel like a need to take a breather. I must admit I am happy with how the stove turned out.

Linda Reynolds said...

Wow!!!! Everything looks professional!!!! You are amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

It is always fun to see what you've been up to. You are such an inspiration! You have so many great ideas. I'm with Flo, the wood burning stove is absolutely charming!
Fawn

Julie Ann Newman said...

*From Julie's doll mom, Sharry:*

Wow...just wow! You are really creative! I really love the stove too, as well as the bed. What great ideas!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thanks Linda! I appreciate the positive comments. You know sometimes you make things and wonder, "Is this any good?!?" I definitely feel good after your comments!

Brenda and Sophie said...

I am really happy everyone likes my stove. I looked online to purchase one of those antique cast iron stoves but it was more than I wanted to pay, SO my mind started going, haha and you can see where it went!

Brenda and Sophie said...

Thanks Sharry! I was really happy with the bed. Actually, I love it. I tried to make something that resembled Kirsten's bed and I am happy with the results. I am actually a little surprised by the response to my stove! I really thought it wouldn't get such positive comments, but I'm happy it did. :)